Pop-Culture Gap Widens
Well, it has started. The dreaded cultural gap that is created when you are out of the country for awhile. While in Rome, I came home to ask everyone "Who the hell is 50 cent"? You know, this was AFTER he won his gazillion grammy's. And now, funnily enough, I have to ask "Who the hell is Robin Thicke"? I'm like, "Is that the guy from Growing Pains"??? hahaha. Apparently, he croons a hit song called 'lost without you'. Never heard of it.
Anyway, I am finally done my dissertation proposal. Now I can start work on the actual Master's Thesis.... sweet! I have been advised to start primary source collecting NOW. Which means I'll be in London quite frequently. Hey, no problem there. So, I have one more paper due, called 'the front porch' for my dissertation class. Then, a presentation outlining research conducted. After that, I only have to worry about the end Thesis.
Unfortunately, I have another class, on British Criminals, and I have two papers due for that. One will be on the historiography of prostitution (gives new meaning to 'oral' history... haha pun intended). The other paper will be on the history of and changes within child discipline from physical intervention to psychiatric measures to medicated withdrawal. Mothers... don't hit your children, but don't feed them Ritalin either!
So, last week was really fun. Just went to the library everyday and drank lots of chai lattes. This week the weather has turned into spring (low to mid 50's), the flowers are all in bloom, and the Brit's are no longer in denial... now, it is actually appropriate to wear t-shirts and scarves instead of winter coats.
I'm still on the lookout for a good place to get my hair done. Last Saturday, Sah and Helen and I went to Border's Books and searched through dozens of hair magazines. Afterwards, we got a color test done at ToniandGuy. Eh, it was just ok there, too saturated around the world and too inexperienced, at least in the Oxford salon, for my tastes. Then on Sunday, I met up with Sah for brunch at this place called Cafe LOCO. It had beautiful views of Christ Church College. Then, we walked through Christ Church's gardens, only to discover a magnificent rainbow!!!! I will upload the pics later.
Then, we decided to walk to Cowley, where we could gather more research for our hair. On our way there, we saw a parade of like 16 people, advocating the environment of course. Along Cowley road, we stopped in all the stores, but then, it started raining, so we jumped into a dark door. It turned out to be a low-key romantic restaurant called Door 74. We got cappuchinos and a chocolate dessert. We made fun of each other because these are all things people do on DATES, not girl's-day-outs. HAH. But it was so fun.
We walked back into the city and shopped around, only to discover more NEW stores that I never knew existed. I found some dope ass skater/b-boy/hip-hop stores, kind of like Agent Orange on South Street in Philly. They were lacking in the women's departments, but they had fly men's gear. I kept gushing about the smell of b-boy's and their used hoodies- smells like cologne, aftershave and HEAVEN!
So, it is now Tuesday night. I am about to go to sleep. I am anxiously awaiting my MUM's arrival. She'll be here for not one, not two, but THREE British holidays. March 16th is Red Nose Day, the 17th is St. Patty's Day, and the 18th is British Mother's Day!!!!! How cool is that. I'm also taking her to a concert on the 19th.... but the band is a surprise... hehe
Miss and Love everyone! xoxoxo


<< Home