Don't dis Downward Dog, Dissertation or Drew
This morning I briefly lost all internet capabilities. Mozilla Firefox was conflicting with my Internet Explorer, Yahoo and Google browsers. As much as I am ON the computer, I still know little about how it works- enter much needed teacher. Anyway, after clicking and un-clicking a bunch of buttons in my Spy-Bot filter, it somewhat works now. I need my mommy!
Update of the past week-
Monday, took another YOGA class. This time it was an athletic Yoga, too fast for my taste, with an alarmingly high male to female ratio. The men of this partic class got really into their breathing techniques. My friends and I pretty much giggled though it. And there were a few bra-less Brit chicks, doing backwards somersaults and head stands. Ah, the male/female adjusted proportion answer. Only today does my body feel back to normal. I probably tore ever muscle and ligament :( But it was fun. The Yoga center is the best in town, and is located a block from my flat. SWEET. It’s cheap too, only 6 pounds (12 dollars) per 90 min class. http://www.yogagarden.co.uk/YC%20SECTION/ycentre2.html
Tuesday, saw me studying in the BOD all day. I went from 12 noon to 8:30 at night. I had a delicious lunchtime break in the middle though. I was fortunate enough to have encountered number 3, on my top ten sandwiches list. A toasted Chiabatta tomato and basil role with fresh back bacon, mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. Squisito!
More important, however, was that I stumbled upon my dissertation topic. Although in its formative zygote stage, it will be based on 19th century political ideologies. I want to study the political communication and dissemination of knowledge from the creators of their ideologies, like James Mill to John Stuart Mill, from Thomas Arnold to Matthew Arnold (father-son duos), to the British middle class. Basically the packaging of the creators’ ideas, the ethical implications, the propaganda of it all, and the hypocrisy of the creators and how they didn’t follow their own ideas- makes you think about how important it is for the creator’s of ideologies to be following them i.e. Thomas Jefferson, his children and his slaves and curious proclamation to abandon such behavior. What’s good for the gander is good for the goose etc. More on my topic later...
Wednesday, I was awoken to immediately check outside. Oxford had its first snow! One beautiful inch. By 11am, the sun had melted it- thank god I took some photos :)
I followed up on my dissertation lead and kept reading more ridiculous hypocritical stories from the inventors of Utilitarianism, Liberalism, Liberal Anglicanism etc. Most of it having religious and racial undertones, though I want to focus solely on moral ethics and the irony of the subversive nature of putting ideologies out there.
Thursday. I was so thrilled about my dissertation light bulb breakthrough that I decided to have a movie day. My friends here found this awesome website that lets you watch all sorts of entertainment on the web for free. Check it out http://www.alluc.org
I watched Happy Feet, the animated penguin movie. It made me reminisce about my mom coming in my room to wake me up by squeezing my toes, and how my mom and I both wiggle our toes when sitting idle. WE have happy feet!!! Love you mom. Well, I got a little bit INTO the movie and found its premise strangely off. Don’t want to give too many details, but it concluded with the message that being a spinster was better than marrying someone you didn’t love. I would have seen it differently. It’s better to have one person unhappy than both. Weird mixed message to be placed in a movie for children (I’m so used to the ubiquitous Disney theme 'Happily Ever After'). I could go on, into Happy Feet’s intricacies but I’ve been told not to bother. It’s a children’s movie for god’s sake.
On a sadder note, my friend Drew got into a Field hockey scuffle and broke some cartilage in his right knee. He had surgery and was hopped up on happy meds. I decided to go pay him a visit and make his feet ‘happy’. I took the number 6 bus down Woodstock Road, it took like 5 minutes to get there. Drew looked a disaster. He had keyhole surgery, three incisions in his knee, blood still oozing from the wounds. Poor guy. I felt so bad, I wanted to know the jersey number of the player who did it. Apparently, Drew’s team will be playing this guy’s team later on in the spring. I’ll be there with my hood-ratz waiting for him by the lockers… he’s gonna get it and he doesn’t even know it! I keed I keed :) Unlike my wisdom teeth removal and want of keeping them, the British NHS DID let Drew keep his floating piece of cartilage, although, I was too grossed out to look at it.
So I brought over 3 movies: Snakes on a plane, Office space and Kinky feet. We watched Snakes on a plane. A little late with the hype, but I thought it was pretty damn good. My favorite part was when the snake bit a woman’s nipple, when the dog got thrown to the snakes, and when the snake expert said “time is tissue” HAH.
I also made Drew Earl Grey tea all day, our favorite :) Feel Better Soon Drew xxxxx
Today, I’m about to shower and meet up with some friends. We are going to London for a night of fierce bar-hopping and clubbing. I’m really excited, this will be my first time in years. Be on the lookout for pics.
And then, of course, recuperation and more studying will fill out the rest of the weekend. Hope everyone has a nice weekend too. Miss you all xoxoxo Write me emails, keep me updated biatches!!! oh yeah, EAGLES SUCK!


<< Home