Oxford, England...for those of you who are not familiar, is the academic capital of the world. It only seems fitting that a smart-ass like me would end up there. I came to England on a Study Abroad in 2001 and haven't been able to mentally depart since.

Monday, February 12, 2007

God, Good Googley Moogley :)

Scary to say but in about 2 weeks, I will have passed the half-way point. 6 MONTHS!!!! That will be the longest I've ever been away from my country. THANK GOD!!!!! Go Obama and Clinton :)

First off, want to wish my lil brother a happy birthday. xxxxx
Secondly, I'm taking this Behaving Badly: Modern British Crime class, and it's not exactly what I'm used to studying. The entire class is on Murders, Rapes, Cannibalism, Family crime, Gender Crime, Homosexual Crime, Genocide, Infanticide, Euthanasia, etc. etc. First day of class, teacher asks "does anyone have any questions"?? An un-timid me, says "Yes, I'm interested in NON-VIOLENT crime, and NON-RELIGIOUS crime (basically crimes committed by protesting and boycotting, alla Gandhi alla MLK jr.)". The entire class and teacher laughed at me, pitied me and consoled me that they would find me "something" of my interest to study. So far, I got stuck studying crimes in literature, Sherlock Holmes and wife-beating.... ugh. And now, I am studying blasphemy in the UK, crimes of protest against the Church of England. What I'm really pissed about is that I can't study crimes against Judaism, nor Islam.... It HAS to be Christianity. How rigid is that? Anyway, I have a presentation on Thursday, have to bring in some lovely primary sources of blasphemy and came across an unusual and perhaps the funniest thing I've ever read....comics about Jesus and Mohammad, titled Jesus and Mo! Please for the love of god, (pun intended) check out this website and read a comic. http://www.jesusandmo.net/

Will be studying in the BOD all this week, plans also include one night of Yoga, a meeting for coffee with friends, and South African friend Kay's birthday celebration on Saturday night at a pub.

Everyone here has the same philosophy as me at the moment, 'study hard now, and play hard later- when the weather is gorgeous'. See you in the sunshine :)