Oxford, England...for those of you who are not familiar, is the academic capital of the world. It only seems fitting that a smart-ass like me would end up there. I came to England on a Study Abroad in 2001 and haven't been able to mentally depart since.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Time to Breathe...

Happy Hannukkah, Christmas and New Year!!!...and Happy Festivus :)

I finally have a chance to blog about the past 3 weeks. Nothing too interesting besides a lot of reading....Okay that was a lie. I had some of the best times of my life during the last few weeks. Though the posts may trickle in as my memory is lacking, I will detail accordingly:

Let’s see, I remember being really stressed out over writing the first of 2 papers due on Jan 5th (I just turned them in 4 hours ago). I had spent the whole of December reading and researching in the BOD, constantly running into professors and making eyes with the wackjobs that are Oxford Uni students. There was this one middle-aged lady in the BOD, she had red hair and wore it loosely tied up, from the 80-90’s man. Anyway, she only studies in this one particular section, on the classics and philosophy floor. She just so happened to sit next to me and I’ve never seen someone study so weird. She would constantly rise out of her chair to walk and read at the same time. She couldn’t read sitting down, she would stand. It was the oddest thing. And when people would notice her and get uncomfortable, she would just move a few inches and continue in her awkward way. What a nut. Sometimes when I’m passing through to get to the bathroom, I’ll see her, still standing while reading and pissing off everyone around her.

I got a lead from my professor about this travel writer named Samuel Laing. I read his entire autobiography and found it lacking in support of my paper. Basically, I was lead on a wild goose chase and got nothing out of reading an entire book :( Doesn’t that suck!!!

I really don’t think people understand when I get burned out. Over this past month alone I read dozens of books. In an attempt to prove this, I am going to list my bibliography for my past 2 papers. Note, that these are what I used. I still have tons of other articles and books that I read but DIDN’T use. By the way, I read every book listed cover to cover. No indexing, no scanning, cover to freakin cover!!!!
Yes, I actually did pick this profession:

Bibliography for British India Paper

Books:

Baron, Archie. An Indian Affair: From Riches To RAJ. London: Channel 4 Books, 2001.

Bearce, George D. British Attitudes Towards India 1784-1858. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press Publishers, 1982.

Cannadine, David. Ornamentalism: How The British Saw Their Empire. London: Penguin Books, 2002.

Hutchins, Francis G. The Illusion Of Permanence: British Imperialism in India. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1967.

Irwin, Robert. For Lust of Knowing: The Orientalists and their Enemies. London: Penguin Group, 2006.

Kiernan, Victor. The Lords Of Human Kind: European Attitudes To Other Cultures In The Imperial Age. London: Serif, 1995.

Mason, Philip. Patterns Of Dominance. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1971.

Metcalf, Thomas R. Ideologies Of The RAJ. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006.

Samson, Jane. Race and Empire. London: Pearson Education Limited, 2005.


Journals:

Adams, Nancy L and Dennis M. Adams. “An Examination of Some Forces Affecting English Educational Policies in India: 1780-1850.” History of Education Quarterly 11, no. 2 (1971): 157-173.

Callahan, Raymond A. “Review: The Raj as Schoolmaster.” History of Education Quarterly 9, no. 4 (1969): 515-521.

Fisher, Michael H. “Review: British and Indian Interactions before the British Raj in India, 1730s-1857.” The Journal of British Studies 36, no. 3 (1997): 363-370.

Mookerjee, Syama P. “Education in British India.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 233, no. India Speaking (1944): 30-38.

Habib, Irfan. “The Coming of 1857.” Social Scientist 26, no. 1/4 (1998): 6-15.
Raj, Kapil. “Colonial Encounters and the Forging of New Knowledge and National Identities: Great Britain and India, 1760-1850.” Osiris 2nd Series 15, (2000): 119-134.
Nature and Empire: Science and the Colonial Enterprise

Rawat, Ramesh. “1857 and the ’Renaissance’ in Hindi Literature.” Social Scientist 26, no. 1/4 (1998): 95-112.

Zacharias, H.C.E.. “The Road to Indian Autonomy.” The Review of Politics 8, no. 3 (1946): 307-330.

Websites:

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., n.d. http://en.wikipedia.org (accessed Jan. 5, 2007). Searched under: British Raj, Seven Years’ War, Bengali famine of 1770, William Pitt the younger, Governor General of India.

Bibliography for Sir Walter Scott Narrative Paper

Books:

Abbott, H. Porter. The Cambridge Introduction To Narrative. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002.

Levitt, Steven D. and Stephen J. Dubner. Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything. London: Penguin Books, 2006.

Scott, Sir Walter. Scott On Himself: A Selection of the Autobiographical Writings of Sir Walter Scott. Edited by David Hewitt. Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press, Clark Constable LTD, 1981.

Tomasson, Katherine and Francis Buist. Battles of the ’45. Pages 66-71. London: B.T. Batsford LTD, 1962.

Tosh, John. The Pursuit of History. Revised Third ed. Harlow: Pearson Education Limited, 2002.

Journal Articles:

Davis, Jana. “Sir Walter Scott and Enlightenment Theories of the Imagination: Waverly and Quentin Durward.” Nineteenth-Century Literature 43, no. 4 (1989): 437-464.

Garside, Peter. “Popular Fiction and National Tale: Hidden Origins of Scott’s Waverly.” Nineteenth-Century Literature 46, no. 1 (1991): 30-53.

Garside, Peter D. “Scott and the “Philosophical” Historians.” Journal of the History of Ideas 36, no. 3 (1975): 497-512.

Gordon, S. Stewart. “Waverly and the “Unified Design“.” ELH 18, no. 2 (1951): 107-122.
Hart, Francis R. “Walter Scott: The Bicentenary in Bloom.” Nineteenth-Century Fiction 26, no. 1 (1971): 115-120.

Mayo, Robert D. “The Chronology of the Waverly Novels: The Evidence of the Manuscripts.” PMLA 63, no. 3 (1948): 935-949.

Parker, Mark. “The Institutionalization of a Burkean-Coleridgean Literary Culture.” Studies in English Literature 1500-1900 31, no. 4 (1991): 693-713.
Nineteenth Century

Raleigh, John H. “Walter Scott and the Historical Imagination.” The Yearbook of English Studies 12, (1982): 289-290.
Heroes and the Heroic Special Number

Stein, Richard L. “Historical Fiction and the Implied Reader: Scott and Iser.” NOVEL: A Forum on Fiction 14, no. 3 (1981): 213-231.

“The Ballard and History: The Case for Scott.” Folklore 89, no. 2 (1978): 229-242.

Walker, Stanwood S. “A False Start for the Classical-Historical Novel: Lockhart’s “Valerius” and the Limits of Scott’s Historicism.” Nineteenth-Century Literature 57, no. 2 (2002): 179-209.

Waswo, Richard. “Story as Historiography in the Waverly Novels.” ELH 47, no. 2 (1980): 304-330.

Websites:

English, Papa, "Mad Libs: The Great New Toy!" n.d. Powered by: The Web Portal for Educators. http://www.teach-nology.com/worksheets/language_arts/madlibs/8/ (accessed Nov. 21, 2006).

Grossman, Lev, “Person of the Year: You Yes, you. You control the Information Age. Welcome to your world. From the Dec. 25, 2006 Issue of TIME magazine.” 13 Dec. 2006. http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/time-magazines-person-of-the-year-you/20061216211509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001 (accessed Dec. 17, 2006).

Scott, Sir Walter. “Waverly, by Sir Walter Scott.” n.d. Chapters 17-18. http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/s/scott/walter/waverley/complete.html (accessed Nov. 21, 2006).

Stengel, Richard, “Now It’s Your Turn.” 16 Dec. 2006. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570743,00.html (accessed Dec. 17, 2006).

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., n.d. http://en.wikipedia.org (accessed Jan. 5, 2007). Searched under: Roland Barthes, Fernand Braudel, Thomas Carlyle, R.G. Collingwood, Narrative History, Leopold von Ranke, Steven Runciman, Simon Schama, Augustin Thierry, Hayden White.

I really need a mental vacation. It seems like every time I finish a paper, another one starts. Currently, I have to write a 300 word proposal on a dissertation topic that I have NOT chosen as of yet. And I must have a working 1,000 word draft of my real proposal for the first day of class. So the next few weeks will be spent yet again reading and researching. When I applied to Oxford…cough cough…Brookes, I had to give a rough list of the subjects I wanted to study. Now, I can’t even remember what I wanted to study. I think because I was so passionate about coming to England, it translated into my writing, and now because I am here, there's little to be passionate about. Does that make any sense?
I’m out on that note. I need to go find inspiration...