Oxford, England...for those of you who are not familiar, is the academic capital of the world. It only seems fitting that a smart-ass like me would end up there. I came to England on a Study Abroad in 2001 and haven't been able to mentally depart since.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Bath Trip

Past couple of days have been nuttier than peanut butter. I'm finally out of paper writing mode and back to normal. Yesterday, as I went to drop off my paper, I ran into my professor who was intrigued by my interest in British Travel writing, because he himself is researching/writing a book about travel writing in Scandinavia. Interesting! I was going to post my paper, but If you really want to read it, just email me and I'll send it to you.

So to celebrate the completion of my first graded paper, Kristen, Sahrah and I took a day trip to Bath-Spa, England. We took the rail, and got there around 1pm. The city was bustling because of half-term (kids are off from school). Although the weather was cloudy, at times rainy and really cold, Bath was a beautiful little town. They have ancient architecture, a really pretty church, and of course the Roman Baths of Bath! But for 9 pounds to see a puddle, we decided NOT to actually go inside. The church reminded me of Strasbourg, France's giant church, and Paris's Notre Dam church. It was really pretty, you just turn the corn and BAMMMMMM- an unbelievable structure comes into focus.

The shopping was great too. There was a slew of little shops that aren't in Oxford, so it was nice to partake in window shopping... too expensive for me to go REAL shopping. There's a couple of indoor markets, a couple of malls and dozens of little alley ways that can get you lost. Their shopping district reminded me of Brighton's Lanes and London's Camden Town. I don't think there is a comparison in Philly. Actually, not even close.

For lunch we got to try a real Cornish Pastry. They are the British equivalent of Hot Pockets and Crossant Pockets. I love and miss them so much. For 1 pound 80p, you get this huge pocket filled with all sorts of yummy stuff. I got ham, leeks, onions, cheese, potatoes and more veggies. Mine had just come out of the oven, and was so delicious I burned my tongue several times. It was that good. And it was on-the-go food, so we kept walking to the end of this street and found this amazing waterfall/cliff bridge structure. Probably, the best view I've seen since coming to England. I'll try to explain (pictures are on the way), Bath is situated in some kind of valley and all around are green mountains and little gray houses are on those mountains. And then, you see this giant waterfall with little boats passing by, and birds in the air (trying to nibble your pastry), and it was just lovely.

Nearby, there was the Bath Rugby Stadium. The doors were open, and I almost ran onto the field and jumped into a seat for a photo op, but I keep reminding myself.... VISA VISA VISA- I NEED TO KEEP MY VISA!!! I have to keep cognizant of my year Visa. Don't want to get deported now.

More walking led us to this really cool mad-made Maze with a mosaic head in the middle. Also surrounding us were beer gardens with spectacular views of this river thing.

Also in Bath, was the Jane Austin House and museum. Personally, I'm not a fan but it was nice :)~ And I got to see some old people. Oxford is a young city (40,000+ students), so to see old people was nice for a change.

I must say that I was pleasantly shocked by Bath. I went without a clue as to what was there, besides some old Roman stuff. Bath is an x-mas town in the winter (they were already putting up lights), and looks to be a great place to visit in the summer, because of the views and atmosphere. I will definitely be going back.

So after a very long day, I got home and went right to sleep. Today, Saturday, Halloween is in the air. There are a few parties and friends of mine are dressing up. I have no idea what to be: a virgin airlines stewardess? or I can be really cheeky and go buy a white sheet, cut holes for eyes and pretend to be a ghost (alla Beetlejuice)???

Will update soon. Hope everyone has happy birthdays and happy halloweens.