Oxford, England...for those of you who are not familiar, is the academic capital of the world. It only seems fitting that a smart-ass like me would end up there. I came to England on a Study Abroad in 2001 and haven't been able to mentally depart since.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"I'm in it"...or so says Natalie Portman in Garden State

Hello world. I am back to blogging. Almost 3 months in, and I detect a trend in my blogging entry delays. I get into the study 'zone' and the rest of the world spins without me in it. I feel so out of touch. Perhaps I should buy a TIME mag, grab a cappuchino and get back with it.

For the past week, I've done little besides studying EVERYDAY in the BOD or studying on my sofa. I went through about 10 books (thankfully zero journal articles). I can honestly say that I am beginning to MASTER my craft. I'm learning how to condense and be more concise when it comes to valuable information, something I was always reluctant to do in the past, considering I was 'paying to learn' and didn't want to leave anything out. I'm now over that. Now, I just want to keep studying and make an impact in the world through history!

Anyway, if there's anything to tell, it's got to be my day at the BOD on Tuesday. My friend Jon and I went to one of the 20 BOD libraries in Oxford. This one was the Social Science Library. It's a fully Modern/Deco/Frank Lloyd building with amazing wall to wall windows. We were actually allowed to bring in bottled water, and there was a huge cafe/restaurant upstairs. They sell cappuchinos for 30 pence, that's the cheapest I've ever seen it outside of Rome. So, in the BOD, we studied for a good 6 hours. Both of us were working feverishly on our presentations that were due last night. After fully succumbing to hunger pains, we decided it was time to hit up my first 'American' food spot..... SUBWAY! Always walking by, but never going in, SUBWAY will indeed be my downfall. I got my favorite, sweet onion chicken teriyaki, and it was absolutely delicious. Only problem was that it cost 4 pounds 70 pence, which meant, my lone foot-long pleasure cost me 10 dollars!!!!! (Pun intended) :)

My presentation last night went well, only hiccup was that I ran out of time and could not finish my conclusion. But to continue in my positive outlook on life, I'm glad there was none as there should never be a 'conclusion' on a history topic.

I took a myspace hiatus for a week, and nothing much transpired. So I think in the future I can live without it.

Oh yeah, I got my first grade on my first paper back. I did excellent- 72. In British grading, there are 4 bands. 100-70 Distinction or A, 70-60 Merit or B, 60-50 Pass or C, 50-0 Fail or F. Since I got a 72, apparently that puts me in a marvelous position to earn a distinction on top of my Master's Degree, similar to a latin laude applied to a Bachelor's Degree. Here's hoping I can get all 70's and above!!! Wish me luck!

Today, I'm having a ME day. I'm going food shopping, might clean the flat a little, also will head into the city centre to do more shopping, maybe buy a CD- who knows. After that, I have class at 6ish, then hopefully will go out drinking with my "History Boys" Jon and Drew. We still haven't all got drunk together, and I'm looking forward to it!!! We are celebrating the end of our presentations, even though theirs won't be until next week.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving. Watch out for drunk drivers, and eat lots of turkey for me. Thanksgiving is not celebrated here, so I'll have to make due with a turkey and cranberry cornish pastry, haahahahaaa. If anyone really pities me, you can send 4 boxes of Stove Top stuffing... PLEASEEEEEEE! Gobble Gobble!